The Parish includes Takapuna Central, Westlake, Hauraki, Belmont and Bayswater. Parishioners come from across the North Shore and beyond.
St Peter’s is sited on the edge of the business and shopping district of Takapuna overlooking Lake Pupuke. The present church was built on the site in 1953. The foundation stone was laid in 1959 by Bishop John Simkin, the 6th Bishop of Auckland. But the building was not ready for dedication until 1962.
Takapuna was part of the original North Shore District. It was included in the Parish of Devonport when this was established in 1879. The first St Peter’s Church was opened in 1883. St Peter’s became part of the Northcote Parochial District in 1884, but in 1897 Takapuna was reunited with Devonport. But, this was only until 1900 when the Northcote –Takapuna Parochial District was established. In 1911 Takapuna became an independent parochial district and was given parish status in 1930. In 1917, St Peter’s Church was moved to the eastern end of Anzac St until the present building was built on the Killarney Street site. Some parts of the original church were kept including the baptismal font. Now young children come to St Peter’s for baptism in a font their grandparents were baptised in when St Peter’s was situated in Anzac Street.